I love baking in the Summer more than I do during the Winter months. Don’t get me wrong…it’s always nice to warm up the house on a cold day by baking something in the oven. Baking is a lot more than just throwing ingredients together and getting something delicious at the end. It’s an experience to be enjoyed. There is not a single time where I am baking or cooking in the Summer that I don’t have the windows and doors open with music on. My love for Strawberry season has grown over the past few years as I started picking my own more when they were in season rather than buying them in stores during the off season. This recipe for Fresh Strawberry Bread is so soft and perfectly sweet, you won’t be able to make just one.
Fresh Strawberry bread is a great use for fresh Strawberries because it requires you to do very little to get them ready. Once you have washed off the strawberries and diced them up, they are ready to go. Even if the batch of strawberries you get is a little bit tart, you won’t even notice it in the bread. The color of the strawberries change as they cook, making this bread just look amazing with its soft colors. Don’t worry, the strawberries don’t get over mushy. They hold up really well in the bread so that you still get all that wonderful freshness. The added cream cheese makes this otherwise dense dessert bread, light and fluffy.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups diced strawberries
- Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- With electric mixer cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended. Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Carefully fold in strawberries. Dough mixture will be thick.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes. If using a non-translucent ceramic pan, cook time may increase. Cover with Aluminum Foil when top starts to brown. Use a cake tester to check if bread is cooked through.
When is your favorite time to bake? What is your favorite dessert bread?